Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snow Days 2014

Oh snow days, how I love thee.  Let me count the many ways:
  1. No school!  The kids are all ours!
  2. The kids playing with their dada for hours on end.  Even work stops...
  3. No getting up early because there is either no school at all or a 2.5 hour late start.
  4. Beautiful white everywhere (white is one of my favorites).
  5. The calmness that snow brings with it.  Even the kids seem calmer.
  6. Bird feet prints in the snow.
  7. Copper loving the snow.
  8. Hot chocolate.
  9. Snow-covered evergreens.
  10. Sitting by the window and watching my family play.
  11. Not going anywhere.  The best ever.
  12. Finally a reason to wear my knitted socks and boots.
  13. A fabulous time to knit.
  14. My house was cleaner than ever as I had all these fabulous little helpers around.

We do not get snow here very often.  When we do, it is usually a light covering that last for maybe two hours.  It is really just a different form of rain.  
This year was different.  There were the usual snow warnings on the radio but we've heard them before.  I dropped the kids off at school as usual when David told me that the school had sent out an e-mail warning of a possible early pick-up.  Thankfully I was already staying in the school town to visit with my very good friend Melissa.  And then the snow came.  The e-mails and messages from school districts kept coming and we finally got to pick the kids up at 11am.  Yeah!  By this time, the roads were starting to be covered pretty good and it kept snowing.  At night time it looked like this:


Copper in his first snow.  He took a liking to it pretty quickly and it gave him the excuse he needed to use the patio as his bathroom.  Bad doggie.

Amazing!!  Everything was covered.  It was beautiful.
So what do you do first?

Sniff the snow, logically.  What else would you do with it?

Oh, you could try to eat it.  That is pretty cool.

And snow-covered evergreens!  How awesome is that?

Then when you wake up in the morning, you get all the snow suits out of storage and you put on your pink kitty suit.  It even has a tail.  It just keeps getting better and better.  And best of all?  No school!  And you knew that by 5pm the night before so you could even go to bed late and sleep in.

We let Copper go outside with us without a leash to see how he would do.  He did fantastic.  He listened and stayed with us and never ran away.  He played with the boys mostly (football, of course).  David would throw the tennis ball for Copper, then the football for Nathan, the tennis ball for Copper....  Nathan braved wearing his Denver Bronco jersey.  Nathan is pretty obsessed with football these days.  He loves sports overall but football is his favorite.  
David was at first going to work but then he just decided to play with the kids instead.  The man can't resist snow.  He played for hours with them and he was my hero.  I have no maternity winter clothes, so there was no way I was going outside for long.  David made real memories for our kids, as always.  And I very much appreciate that.  It makes me love him so much more.  
Just in case you wonder:  He is the man.

The girl, all bundled up in blue, her favorite color (since pink isn't anymore).

Note Abby eating the snow, it'll be a theme.  Copper just loving every minute of this.  He was so exhausted by the end of the day, that all he could do was sleep on the couch.

Isabelly getting in on the football action, but really just wanting to run in the snow.

Eating snow...  Almost every time I looked at Abigail, she was eating snow.  It is quite humorous when you know that I have to make her drink water all day long, every single day. 

David went out with the kids every one of the four glorious snow days we had.  I loved every single one of them.  Most of all, I loved being snowed in with my family.  I love these people!  Until next time snow.

1 comment:

  1. Da hattet ihr ja viel Spaß mit unserem Schnee :-)
    Und wir haben euren REGEN :-(

    ReplyDelete